Thursday, October 12, 2006

The Fifteen Month Check-up

This morning, Reilly had her fifteen month check-up at the doctor's. Of all the changes that we have gone through since moving back to Florida, our transition to a new pediatrician has been the smoothest. Not only did they accomodate us for our emergency visit, but they also happen to be the nicest, most professional office I've ever been in.

Our old pediatrician, West 11th Pediatrics, was a dream--great doctors, great sick policy, and a wonderful nurse, named Doris. To say that our new pediatrician, (Pediatric Health Care Alliance) is better, is quite a statement. Everything at PHCA is electronic: the nurse took Reilly's stats on a laptop, and gave us a quick survey from the same machine. Later, the doctor came in with the results of that survey and used it to help qualify where Reilly stands developmentally.

For example, she said, "I see that Reilly is walking and says over fifteen words and drinks from a sippy cup. Can you tell me a little more about her diet?" I was blown away by the effectiveness of this sort of communication. Whereas normally you repeat the same spiel with the nurse, and then with the doctor, in this case it was as if they were the same person. As I talked to the doctor about Reilly, she took notes on her laptop. When I mentioned that I had brought in Reilly's paper medical records, she said, "I know, I scanned them in and am viewing them now."

I wanted to hug her.

Today Reilly had to have two vaccinations and a flu shot. She was seriously pissed off. What was calming was that at the end of the visit, the nurse handed me sheets describing each shot, the reason for the shot, and any side effects that the vaccinations might cause in Reilly. When I asked the nurse to write down Reilly's stats so that I could share them with the internet, she said, "Oh, I've already printed them at the bottom of your daughter's 12-18 month information sheet." I looked at the sheet. So she had.

I'll make you wait no longer. Here are Reilly's stats, according to this percentile calculator:

20.19 lbs = 10th percentile
2 feet, 6 inches = 30th percentile
18.5 inches head circumference = 77th percentile

For the most part, these stats show that Reilly is still on her own growth curve, and is in line to be a top heavy child, prone to falling over at the slightest breeze.

To review her past stats, click here for her one year check-up, and here for her nine month check-up. (I can't seem to find her six month check-up and three month check-up. Sorry!)

No comments:

Post a Comment